Christmas celebrations are unique in the terms of thematic decorations that give a festive face lift to any commercial or living space. This involves placing and redecorating several of the season’s special elements, apart from the Christmas tree. One such interesting addition is a handmade reindeer that can be placed at any strategic spot. Birch tree is the best option for such craft due to their cultural significance, availability, and easy designing. You will need to cut some small logs using saw and fixing some framework. Therefore, this craft is more suitable for the adults in the family, though children may be involved later at the decoration stage. Here are some easy tips to erect your own birch branch reindeer for the coming holidays.
• Chainsaw or handsaw
• Nails and hammer (optional)
• Birch tree branches, slightly thicker
• Thin branches or twigs from the same tree or any other suitable one
• Straight cylindrical rods made of wood or metal (dowel)
• Cotton balls, wool, or small pompoms
• Googly eyes (optional)
• Large red bead
• Small Christmas bell
• Evergreen branches of a flexible variety or suitable climbers
• Ribbons and laces
• Poinsettia (fresh or dried)
• Colorful berries (natural or artificial), tiny pine cones, ornaments or any suitable stuff used in small wreaths
Steps to make Christmas birch branch reindeer:
• Structure formation:
• Dissecting the branches: Cut the branches into two logs, one-half the size of the other.
• Smoothing: Use garden trimmer or knife to remove excess side branches, leaves, etc. and smooth the logs.
• Making hole: Drill a hole in both the logs, a few inches from one end. These holes should be proportionate to the diameter of the dowel.
• Forming body: Fix a dowel in both the holes in such a way that the larger forms the abdomen and the smaller, the head portion.
• Legs: Drill four holes for the legs and insert dowels. You may also use branches of the trees in place of the dowels.
• Antlers: Make holes for the antlers on the head and place twigs.
• Nose: Fix the red bead as nose.
• Eyes: Paint the entire structure, including eyes, in the natural shade of reindeer.
• Decoration: The main decoration is done to cover the dowel in the neck area and part of the legs. It is created in the form of a loosely shaped wreath.
• Branches: Take evergreen branches of appropriate size and form. Tie the ends.
• Ribbons: Tie ribbons in places around the closed loop.
• Accessorizing neck: Interlace other decorations, like golden painted pine-cones, berries, ornaments etc. Hand the entire adornment around the neck of the reindeer.
• Body cover: Cut a rectangular piece of red velvet cloth and lace it from all sides. Place the cloth on the back of the reindeer to give it the true holiday look!